The Iosua's

The Iosua's
The Iosua's

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My First Night Away From B-Man

Bryce turned 1 year old at the beginning of January and I had yet to spend a single night away from him.  The thought of it still leaves my heart aching.  But the time had come.  I had to go to NYC on a business trip for one night.  This seems like the perfect first time away, because a) its only one night and b) he will be staying home with Daddy, so there are no worries about the level of care he will get while I am away. The only thing is its not really just one night...its more like 1 night and three days.  I left on a Tuesday before he wakes up, am away Tuesday night, and didn't get home until after he was asleep on Wednesday.  This means I don't see him when he is actually awake until I get home from work on Thursday.  So here is how it went.

Tuesday morning didn't start off so well.  I woke up super early so that I could drive into work and not have to extend all my traveling my using the commuter rail and/or T.  Brilliantly, at 6am, I thought I could sneak into Bryce's room and just take a quick peak whisper goodbye and blow him a kiss before I left. EPIC FAIL. Somehow the sleeping angel on the monitor woke up when I went in to say goodbye. I am totally going to blame the dog who decided to try to follow me into his room.  I swear you could vaccuum right outside his door, but one click of Daisy's nails on the floor and B-Man's eyes snap open.  So instead of leaving for my trip with the image of an angelic Bryce cuddling his lovie, I instead left Rob to deal with a crying, overtired, bouncing toddler at 6am.  Oops - sorry hunny.

So after a full day at work, a more than 3 hour train ride, I arrived in NYC.  Immediately after stepping onto the crowded street outside of Penn Station, I felt better.  New York tends to have that effect on me.  I got a hot chocolate and walked around the city for a bit.  Then when I got to the hotel I indulged, getting a massage, ordering room service, taking a bath, watching insanely stupid TV, then it was Bryce's bedtime.  Bryce and Rob FaceTime'd to say goodnight, which was sweet, but I was jealous, because I am usually the one that gets to put him to bed every night.  The minute we hung up, the tears hit me immediately and of course I didn't sleep all night.

The next day was easier because I was engaged in work all day, then I had another 3+ hour train ride home with a very nosy and talkative passenger sitting next to me, who saw a picture of Bryce on my IPad and took that as an invitation to tell me all about her 16 year old son who has an attitude problem and to enjoy my baby boy while he is little. 

I got home that night, checked on BMan and it took everything in my power not to wake him up to give him a hug.  Go to work one more day, come home all excited to see Bryce, and he could barely give me a second glance when I walked through the door.  Daisy and his toys were much more exciting.  All that worry and it didn't bother him in the least.  Guess those mommy attachment days are starting to get better :(

So I have a few more trips this year where I will have to be away...a few lessons learned and hopefully I can handle them better. Bryce - well he will be just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment